On the 4th of June 2021 the EU Commission announced the adoption of new Standard Contractual Clauses (new SCCs). The new SCCs must be used by all SaaS suppliers and SaaS customers who transfer personal data to countries outside the EU/EEA (third countries) once the current SCCs are repealed.Continue reading
It is important for a SaaS supplier to understand the legal obligations imposed upon them as a data processor when negotiating a SaaS agreement and a data processing agreement (“DPA“) as the duties of a data processor are not the same as the duties of a data controller. In aContinue reading
It is important for a SaaS supplier to understand the legal obligations imposed upon a data controller when negotiating a SaaS agreement as the duties of a data controller are not the same as the duties of a data processor. In a SaaS relationship the supplier is always the data processor of the SaaS customer. The SaaS customer is always the data controller. Below is a summary of the obligations of a data controller.Continue reading
What issues need to be considered in choosing and managing a company’s trademarks? Registration Focus on the company name or products. Marketing should decide which trademarks to register. Consider registering products names in local markets. If companies are acquired, consider registering trademarks for new products or company names if noContinue reading
What issues need to be considered in choosing and managing a company’s domain names?
Which Name to Register
* Focus on the company name worldwide.
* Marketing should decide on which domain names to register, bearing in mind which trade marks the company has registered.
* If companies are acquired, consider registering domain names if none are already registered.
* Carry out a domain name search at www.nic.com before trying to register new domain names.
* All domain names should be registered and owned centrally by one company (a holding company).Continue reading