If your website uses Google analytics and you provide SaaS services to customers based in Germany you are now required to provide specific information to users in order to comply with recent changes to German data protection law.
Google Analytics and German Data Protection
Google analytics collects statistics about website users by „tracking” an individual’s use of a website. This information is then made available to website operators free of charge. Following an agreement between Google and the German data protection authorities it is now the responsibility of the operators of websites to implement certain measures when using Google analytics.
Making your Website Compliant
- inform users that you use Google analytics; and
- advise users that they can turn off Google analytics tracking in their browser settings
In addition you should use a Google software solution that masks the IP address of the user.
Application to UK Websites
Although this is a German data protection issue, if your website is directed at German customers, or the majority of your customers are located in Germany, it is advisable to make these changes in order to avoid any potential breach of German data protection law.
Irene Bodle is an IT lawyer specialising in SaaS agreements with over 10 years experience in the IT sector. If you require assistance with any SaaS, ASP, software on demand contracts or any other IT legal issues contact me:
To register for my newsletter click here
Other related articles:
- SaaS Agreements – Essential Elements
- SaaS Agreements – Essential Elements – SLAs Explained
- SaaS Agreements – FAQs – Security
- SaaS Agreements – FAQs – Software Licence
- SaaS Agreements – FAQs – Source Code and Object Code
- SaaS Agreements – FAQs – Escrow
- SaaS Agreements – FAQs – Confidential Information
- SaaS Agreements – FAQs – Data Protection
- SaaS Agreements – Jurisdiction – Info made Available on Internet
- SaaS Agreements – Data Protection – New Proposed EU Rules Part 2
- SaaS Agreements – Data Protection – New Proposed EU Rules Part 1
- SaaS Agreements – Data Protection – The Patriot Act
- SaaS Agreements – Data Protection – Data Stored in the USA
- SaaS Agreements – Data Protection – Data Commissioner – UK Fines
- SaaS Agreements – Data Protection – Sub-Contractors, Model Clauses
- SaaS Agreements – Data Protection – Liability for Loss of Backup Tapes
- SaaS Agreements – Data Protection – Safe Harbor, German Customers
- SaaS Agreements – Data Protection – Transfer of Data Outside the EEA
- SaaS Agreements – Need for an NDA Prior to Signing a SaaS Agreement
- SaaS Agreements – Distributor or Agent – Is There a Difference?
- SaaS Agreements, Software on Demand – Confused?
- Cloud Computing and the Legal Cloud